Wednesday, July 9

HASHGOCHOH PROTIS II

My son was born premature and confined to an incubator for the first month of his life.  With the day of the Pidyon HaBen fast approaching, I was at a loss as to how to do it the proper way.  I mean you can do the Pidyon HaBen anywhere but it would have been nice to hold it at home, in a familiar setting (at least for the father…).
After consulting with a number of people it was agreed that I will need to call upon the good services of Rabbi Kernkraut, who – in the course of his work on behalf of people needing medical assistance – knows whom to contact for just this purpose.  Problem was (and still is), it’s hard to get in touch with him as he’s constantly on the move and this happened twenty five years ago when there were hardly any mobiles around.
This was occupying my thoughts when I went to visit a family friend from Eretz Yisroel, who was hospitalised in the Wellington Hospital in St John's Wood, who fell ill whilst visiting in London.
As I entered the suite, I saw a new face sitting at the patient’s bedside.  Upon asking for his name, I was given the much sought after identity of the person I was looking for!  Not only did he spare me the return trip by underground, he graciously offered to help me have the use of a consultation hall in the Homerton hospital, where we held the Pidyon HaBen with friends and family around as if it would have been at home!
Had I come five minutes later…
Had he left five minutes earlier…

Etc.

No comments: