Tuesday, October 7

Hashgochoh Protis IV - השגחה פרטית

Freshly happened Hashgocho Protis

I usually buy my weekly bus pass to reach my workplace.  As I would be travelling only half of this week (until Erev Sukkot) I decided to travel by bus rather than by Tube, which would save me around fifteen pounds.
To reach my destination I need to take a couple of buses and as I was waiting for the second bus – a forlorn spot in Tottenham where Jewish drivers hardly ever come through – I toyed with the idea of how foolish it is for me to expect a lift to work.  For a Heimishe driver to drive by he would need to make a whole detour and it didn’t make any sense why one would come this way.
Finally I saw the bus in the distance and as it came nearer there was an outline of this familiar silver-grey Previa chugging along in front of the bus.  I didn’t give it much thought but as it drove past me the car suddenly slowed down and the driver beckoned me to jump in.  This was my first free ride all the way to the office this year 5775, hopefully one of many more to come…
As I was making myself comfortable I saw the driver fumbling with his mobile ‘phone (“don’t do that whilst driving!” I was thinking to myself), which he used to answer an urgent call from a frantic client.  It turns out that he went to an office where he was meant to meet the client early in the morning, however the man wasn’t there and after waiting for the better part of an hour he proceeded to his next stop.
The route to his next stop took him past this obscure spot where I was standing.  He readily agreed that the ultimate reason for him being there was to be Zoiche to give a lift a to a fellow Jew, which he did with Simcha – מי כעמך ישרא-ל!
I waited less than ten minutes for a ride – he waited half an hour to give me one…

No comments: