Tuesday, September 9

HASHGOCHOH PROTIS III

As told by my friend:

I have been travelling to and from work in the West End of London for the past fifty years.  Most of my trips are by tube and on this occasion - at the time this story took place - was no different. 

I am a regular traveller and on that day, halfway through my return trip from work, the train stopped in Euston Underground station.  The usual two minute stop turned into four minutes and before long, an announcement was heard over the public system to the effect that due to a fault on the rails, this train will be staying put for at least an hour - if not longer.

It was a Friday afternoon, around Purim time, when the days are not too short but also not too long either, and I therefore decided to travel home by bus, so to arrive home with plenty time for my Shabbos preparations.

As I was traversing the main concourse in Euston British Rail Station, my eyes caught a small group of perhaps three Bochurim who were gesticulating to the cashier at the ticket office.  When I stopped to ascertain if they are in trouble, they noticed me and - visibly elated - approached me.  What they were telling me made me cringe and smile at the same time, for they had been trying to convince the clerk to accept Charity Vouchers in lieu of payment for their fare to Manchester.

They insisted that they have no money on them except these vouchers and begged me to exchange them for "real" money.  I complied with their request and one of the boys - they must have been aged between 15 to 16 years old - went over to the ticket office to finalise their purchase.

It was already afternoon and I tried to explain to them that they better hurry up as in order to reach their destination they would need to depart pretty soon. They agreed and started walking towards the platforms, when I stopped them in their tracks and asked them to explain to me how on earth did they expect to arrive in Manchester without money and at such a late hour?!  They answered "HaKadoh Baruch Hu Ozer"....

Now, it is the first time that a train should be held up for such a long time - at least as far as I can remember - and on a Friday afternoon to boot.  Had I chosen to take a different exit then I would never have come across this motley group of adventurers...  It looks like they were experiencing a Hashgocho Protis event in which I was chosen to be their troubleshooter!

No comments: