Wednesday, February 20

Thank you HaShem!

There were about 15 residents living out in Midrand at the facility. The organisation has a head-office in Sandringham in JHB. I was often asked to bring things or people up and down between the offices & the factory. One morning on my way to the factory, I was asked to give a lift to one resident. This is a person who can’t talk properly, and she limps around. She is not able to use a knife and fork for eating, but can only use a spoon or a straw. An extra-mural that she does (and is very good at) is paint. But, because she can’t hold a paint brush with her fingers, she hears a helmet / hat-sort of thing, with a paint brush in the front, and she dips the paint in the brush & paints amazing pictures. (When we got married, she gave us a painting she did, and it hangs in our house – it is a very humbling picture). On this particular day, I decided to take a different route to Midrand, and went on the R21 instead of the N1 (probably because of traffic, but I can’t remember why I did it). In the car, I was talking to the resident, and she asked me why I am going on the R21, and not the N1? I asked her if she knows where we are, to which she answered me that she knows exactly what is going on around her, but she just has a non-functional body. I asked her how she lives, and she said she is a very happy person, I then asked why, she replied: she is happy with what she has, because she knows lots of people who are a lot worse off than her – I nearly drove off the road and had an accident hearing this from this person. it was a wake-up call of note, as to how grateful we need to be for everything we have in life.

No comments: